- On Writing
- Can your readers suspend disbelief? Index of James Marinero articles on writing fiction, faction, science fiction v science faction.
- Suspending Disbelief in Thriller Novels
- Can your readers suspend disbelief? The techno thriller novel genre - is it science fiction or science faction? Here I’m not going to discuss literary fiction – such as written by Ian McKeown or V S Naipaul; I’m discussing thrillers, specifically techno-thriller novels. Now, you might think immediately of Tom Clancy, or maybe Craig Thomas, but Patricia Cornwell is also, to me, a techno-thriller author. When I read Cornwell, I believe pretty much everything – she was a medical examiner and knows bodies inside out. Clancy or Thomas though? Certainly their work is plausible, even when Thomas invented a new Russian plane, in Firefox, it was fairly credible to me.
- Fact Checking: How To Write Novels
- If you are learning how to write novels, find out why fact checking matters. James Marinero explains why an author can lose readers if facts are not checked.
- How To Write Novels: Basics
- Tips for those who are learning how to write novels - a view from someone who learned the hard way (and still learning), or, 'what they don't teach you in writing school'.